Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Down Hill Slide

I hate this time of year. I'm not talking about the visual delight everywhere you look, the sharp blue sky contrasts wonderfully with the crisp yellows and reds of the maples and oaks. Today I'm talking about the number on the scale.

Kevin's birthday (carrot cake and cheese fries) is followed by Halloween (almond joys and butterfingers), which is followed by my birthday (more carrot cake unless the girl picks it out, then it's cheese cake), which is followed by Thanksgiving (lobster bisque, cherry pie and stuffing) and Christmas (more cherry pie and more stuffing). Food and candy everywhere (not counting the box of full-sized snickers dark bars in my desk). And on top of all that, it's so dark and cold in the mornings now making it so hard to get up to walk by myself.

Next weekend daylight saving time ends so it'll be light in the morning again, AM gets her cast off today, and L is recovering well from her mastectomy of last Monday.

Things are looking up.

7 comments:

just me said...

I think you worry too much about food and the number on the scale. Just keep moving and you'll be fine! A very wise friend of mine once said, "how can you enjoy life if you're always worrying about what you eat?" He is now a neurosurgeon...

Jenny said...

I get a little anxious this time of year thinking of all the upcoming food opportunities... eeek... so I'm going to try to relax a little on it.... and keep my hands in my pocket... as in "not eating."

Anonymous said...

I'm on thin ice as far as the food temptations as they're simply not tempting. Afterall who in their right mind is going to make a pie out of vegetable tuber!

I have been trying very hard now [for 12 years] and I can just about manage a slice of pecan pie, just to be polite. But only if it's served with several dollops of sour cream. Does that make you feel better or worse?

As for 'porky pies' that's Cockney [London] rhyming slang for 'lies.'

Cheers

carmilevy said...

Thanks for the reminder to get out and enjoy the weather. I think I've got a bike ride in me tomorrow. A little tour of the countryside will be good for the soul...and my aerobic capacity!

AM Kingsfield said...

Don't forget fruitcake.
Do you wanna make some with me this year? More fun to share the big production.

I'm signing up for carrot cake on your birthday!

Lorraine said...

Are you saying I shouldn't have candy bars for breakfast? They're just the little one...

Unknown said...

Ugh. Calories.
I think I'll begin weight training. They say muscles are better burners of calories than aerobic exercise and even with a hefty dose of walkibng and 2 nights a week of an hour long power fitness class, I am inching up the scales.