Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fifteen Years Later



I need to plagiarize Mom's post from Monday. It's a great post about being a new mom.

Today my first born is 15. Fifteen years ago today I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. I got up and watched trashy TV for a couple hours, you know those shows that are on at 2:30 in the morning, the infomercials and slutty match making shows. The contractions were about 10 minutes apart and I could still talk through them, although I only had the cat to talk to, so I wasn't freaking out. About 4:30 I tried to go back to bed, but the contractions were worse and I woke Dan up. He made coffee and read the paper for a while and I probably knitted, I can't remember, maybe he can. He kept track of the intervals and we walked around the neighborhood for a while.

About 6:30 we drove to the hospital and settled on a name. Mike Devereaux had had a fabulous season with the Orioles in 1992 and because Devo was my favorite player at the time I thought Devon would be a good name for a boy, (Fern had already been chosen for a girl), but upon further consideration, we decided it was too "out there" and picked Kevin instead.

My sweet boy was born at about 5:30 in the evening with a loose knot tied in his cord, weighing in at 7 pounds 6.5 oz, 21" long. The L&D doc speculated he'd be a surgeon because of his early knot tying ability!

Now Kevin is 5'8" and about 95 or so pounds, and handsome as ever.

My digital photos only go back 5 years, so here's a shot from 5 years ago. (I'll have to find a baby picture to scan in later.)



And here's a recent shot:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup my eldest is 26 so we both know it goes in a flash.

Did you know that the first knitters were men - the women gathered the wool, washed it, dyed, it, carded it and spun it into yarn, just so his lordship could put his feet up with a cup of tea and do the fun bit!

I wanted "Harvey" as a name but I was vetoed because we lived in the States by then and it's not a name that translates well apparently.

So you know that now you'll be stuck on fast forward for the next decade right?

Thanks for the tip about Ladies Intimate Apparel!

Gnomeself Be True said...

15 is hard to imagine...but only a few short years away.

just me said...

I remember when Kevin looked like the earlier photo - we had just moved into the neighborhood 5 years ago... time sure does fly.

Lorraine said...

Happy birthday, Kevin!

That's a beautiful boy you've got there, Anne. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Beautiful boy. He is lucky to have such a great momm!
Sharing how the birh-day went is one of our traditions on the kid's b-day. They love to hear even the gory details.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Smiler said...

They grow up so fast! He's a very handsome boy, I'm sure you're very proud of him. Michele sent me to tell you that!