Friday, October 05, 2007

Facing Reality

Do you watch reality TV? Top Chef had its season finale Wednesday night, with Hung, the least appealing chef of the three finalists, winning the title. Now I'll start to feel the effects of RTVSFDS (Reality TV Season Finale Depression Syndrome).

However, Survivor is on this fall. That's good, RTVSFDS averted, but as my husband said to me last night, Survivor's starting to jump the shark with all the extreme physical challenges they've been having this season. It's a turn-off. The contestants have to fight one another to win; the fighting takes many forms: tackling, pushing, pulling and knocking someone over. I still watch it, but it's getting to the point where I probably won't miss the show if they quit producing it. It's getting too old. It's the same thing again and again.

The only thing that I can think of which might save Survivor and attract viewers for another season would be an all-female cast. It's not been done before. Most men would like to watch 18 scantily-clad women for a whole season, duh. And women would watch to do what women like to do, talk about other women. (Do we?) And and all-women cast would be much more interesting to watch than all men. And also they'd be without the men to attract and manipulate. I think it'd be an interesting dynamic.

I could be wrong.

What reality TV show would you like to be on?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personaly I despise reality TV and flip the channel to something like the science channel or discovery or PBS, but that's just me.

Michele sent me over to say hi.

Gnomeself Be True said...

Oh Geeze Anne! That was the one reality TV show I watched and I missed the finale.
Thanks for the spoiler!
:-)
I figured it would be Hung. As hard as he was to like, he really was the most talented/accomplished chef there.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Michele sent me today and I dn't watch many reality shows..Never cared about Survivor after seeing three minutes of it the first season...It has a mean quality to it and it's not about "creating" anything...TOP CHEF, though it has some slight mean side..IS, at least about creating something, as is PROJECT RUNWAY....
Hung....Well, I didn't like him at all and I wanted Casey to win---time for a Woman to Win this show...
I cannot watch Dancing with the Stars anymore(Only watched irregularly, anyway)...it seems to be more about showing as much female flesh as the censors will allow, than anything else---Degrading to women, I feel, and not all that much about 'the dancing', no matter what they say....OY! Frankly, I would rather watch "THE WAR" on PBS...Not that is really creating something that should be required Viewing in every school. Told from such a personal point of view---one cannotr help but care and feel something very deep. That's what I want television to do for me...Enlighten me and Move Me...


Reality TV has reached some new lows which I didn't think was possible...!

Lorraine said...

I don't watch Top Chef religiously but I did catch most of the finale and was surprised that Casey was the high vote getter from the viewers but didn't win. (I mean, I realize her food for the final wasn't as good as it should have been but still. Doesn't one's body of work count for anything?)

Myself, I'm just waiting for PR to start. That's my favorite.

I would never want to be on any of those shows, though. I'm not a very competitive person and I'd just roll up and hide if there was someone who was mean to me.

Anne said...

Oh, I LOVE PR too! (we're so much alike) That's the show that got us hooked on BravoTV.

I wouldn't be mean to you, we could team up against the meanies!

yellojkt said...

The only reality show I watch is Amazing Race because I have been to some of the places.

I keep teasing my wife we should sign up since we like to travel, but there is no way she could stand some of the things they do.

michele sent me.

Sara said...

Hello, Michele sent me tonight... I've started watching Survivor this year - but, I'm not so sure I like it this year....

sage said...

I have yet to watch Survivor, nor have I watched any other of the shows. About the only show I try to watch now is the Jon Stewart's news show and The Colbert Report.

Thanks for commenting in my blog. You mentioned that the 9th grade was so long ago--it was longer ago for me than for you! Dig back in those memories--many of the ones I've written I want to give to my children at some point in their lives.