Sunday, August 05, 2007

Family Time

My husband comes from a large family, he has five brothers and two sisters. This weekend all eight siblings got together in Richmond for a reunion. I like his family, they are so different from mine. They are loud and because there are so many of them, there are lots opinions about lots of different subjects, mostly education and sports: baseball, hockey, and playing golf (where I join in).

I have two brothers with whom I hardly ever speak, not because we're not on speaking terms, but because we forget. Well, that's my excuse, I don't know about them. I really ought to try harder to talk to them more often. We do our communicating through Mom and Dad. Yesterday was Dad's birthday so I called to wish him a happy one. Oh and please tell the short brother (6'5") the tee time next weekend is 1:32, no, better make that 1:00. He's invariably late. We're playing golf next weekend at my family's get-together. I hope my tall brother (6'7") can play, his back's been bothering him. (Dad's 6'7" too, if you were wondering, and I'm only 5'7".)

I haven't pulled out my camera at all (yet) so I have no record of this reunion, maybe later today I'll get a chance before everyone goes separate ways.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

I'm the same way. I'm totally on speaking terms with my sibs but I've very neglectful of calling or even emailing just to check in. I really should do a better job of that.

Mom said...

My short brother is 5 feet tall, my tall brother is 5'6" tall.Mom was 5', Dad was 5'4''. I was destined to be short. Make the effort to talk to your brothers. You will be glad you did.

John said...

I talk to my brothers about once a year, usually on their birthdays. We get along fine as well, we just don't talk that often. Although I do talk to my sister about once a month. Ah well, it could be worse.

AM Kingsfield said...

It is interesting how you can spend all your formative years together and then have so little reason to keep in touch. My brothers and I don't keep in as good of touch as we ought to, not that we don't enjoy each other.

Maybe it's a boy thing.