Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Another Attempt at Blogging and Quilting

I just was reading Terry Grant's blog about her malaise.

It seems to be going around, I've felt like that for a while: so much fabric so little inspiration. I hadn't sewed on anything fun in months, six or more. Then I worked on a wall hanging a few weeks ago, picture below. It had been a work in progress for two years or more. It is waiting for borders and to be finished and my muse left the building.

Last week I bought one of those grocery store quilting magazines, I don't remember which one, I think it had a blue/yellow/green quilt on the cover. It was an impulse buy. I was pleasantly surprised when inside was a pattern for a super-sized shoo-fly quilt. It spoke to me as a college quilt for my daughter since she's a high school senior this year. I asked her to go through my stash and pick out some fabric she liked. Because the blocks are so big I needed nearly a yard of each one. I needed to cut  12" and 11 5/8" squares. You'd think you could get three of those length-wise from a yard of fabric, but you'd be wrong. It seems the common length of a yard of fabric is really 34". It was very aggravating trying to cut the squares when you're not working with a full yard.

Anyway, over the weekend I got the six blocks done and sewn together into a top. It's ~100x66. Did you know twin batts are 93x72?

Why is it then, when inspiration strikes, the path is never the envisioned one, the smooth and easy one?



 

No comments: