Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weekend Plans

I am very thankful for my husband. I love him tremendously. One of his shining qualities: he gives awesome gifts, unexpected, but spot-on. I don't need any non-birthday gifts, though I wouldn't turn them down. I don't need them to validate me. In other words, I don't need chocolate for Valentine's Day. I love getting flowers, but I'm not crushed when I don't get the over-sized bouquet delivered to the office for all to see, either. Sure, what girl doesn't dream of getting a diamond tennis bracelet, but I'm never mad if I don't receive one. After being married for almost 19 years, making a big deal about Valentine's Day is just silly. There are other places, times, and ways to be romantic. I don't need to cram them all into one day. I'd be too exhausted. A Hallmark card stating the obvious is just about right. [Note to self: go buy a card.]

So, I am taking off tomorrow and going away for the weekend. It's time for our guild's annual quilt retreat weekend, a weekend of sewing and relaxing, of working on projects you only work on at retreats, of staying up past your bedtime, and of going to breakfast in slippers. I have a many projects packed, knowing I'll probably get bored and want to rotate among them often. [Note to self: pack ADD meds!] I might even finish some of them. One of the projects I'll be working on is this quilt, a baby quilt for a co-worker.



Stay tuned, I might post pictures on the fly from the phone. [Note to self: take phone charger.]

I'll then stretch a 4-day weekend into a 5-day weekend. I'm staying home Tuesday because we are scheduled for our window installation. I was surprised when they called today to let me know they were ready. They initially said 4-6 weeks for production, it'll've been less than three. I'll definitely post pictures of that.

Have a good weekend, everybody!
 

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

I am anti-diamond. All those Jared commercials irritate me.

I'm glad you are getting away for a relaxing weekend. Can't wait to see your finished products!

Dtodd said...

Sounds like you are just rationalizing your husband's refusal to participate in the Day of Love. Admit it, you want chocolates and flowers!