Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Not Fixed Yet

I got an email this morning saying the two files I blanked yesterday (see yesterday's post) were restored, but they are still empty. So I'm back to being stranded on that project waiting for restoration.

No, that wasn't an April Fool's joke, except on myself.



Her Royal Knightress AM Kingsfield wanted me to post about a quilt I saw at the quilt show in Lancaster on Friday. It's a yo-yo quilt.

If you don't know what a yo-yo is in the quilting world, you take a circle of fabric about 2-5" in diameter and sew a running stitch close to the edge of the fabric. Then you draw up the threads so it makes a little pouch and push it flat so you have your gathers in the center of the circle and tie off the threads. After you've made millions of these you sew them together one to each "side" so it forms a grid, and keep going until it's quilt sized. They are usually made of scraps. They don't do anything for me, too much labor.

In the art quilt section of the show, where you're not allowed to take photographs, there were a large number of very edgy and artful quilts, some were stunning and exquisite, some were weird, some were thought provoking. Some you would like to have on your walls and then, well, then there was this one:

The Yo Yo Quilt by Martha Bruin Degen from the Social Questions Series

Photo stolen borrowed from the artist's site.

3 comments:

John said...

Personally, ALL quilting seems like a lot of work. But maybe that's just me.

AM Kingsfield said...

I bet if you wrapped up in that quilt, you would be cold all night and have terrible nightmares about waterboard and pretzel torture.

Gnomeself Be True said...

Amazing.
BDS invades the quilting world.