Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Curried Chicken Salad

This is what I took to AM's pool party last week, I got a request for the recipe, so here goes.

I'm not into measuring, I just eyeball it.
  • drain two 12 oz. cans of cooked chicken, (mine came from Costco) reserving some liquid (of course you can cook your own chicken, but I didn't for this party)

  • Put the chicken in a mixing bowl and use your fingers to mush the chicken hunks into smaller pieces, you can chop it up with a knife if you really want to, but it takes longer.

  • add

    • a large handful or two of golden raisins and/or grapes cut in half, champagne grapes are good, too, for this if they are in season

    • a very large handful coarsely chopped pecans

    • a chopped crunchy apple or two

    • (other fruit could include chopped dates and pineapple, add to your taste, I think I used dried cranberries last week, too)

  • put about 1/4 cup of the reserved chicken stock in a pan and stir in 2 or 3 teaspoons curry powder, I used sweet curry.

  • bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, until you have a thick paste remove from the heat and let it cool for a bit.

  • when you can stick your finger in there without burning yourself, add about a cup of mayo and stir until smooth

  • add the mayo to the chicken & fruit mix and stir thoroughly

  • refrigerate for about an hour to let the flavor intensify before serving


let me know how it turns out!

3 comments:

SC&A said...

I'm glad I stopped by- chicken salad of any kind is a food of the gods.

Michele sent me.

Mom said...

That was one yummy tasting chicken salad.

Linda said...

RYC: Shudder the thought!!! That's one of those bad choices to distract me :)

and mmmmm, great chicken salad recipe!