Friday, February 22, 2008

Attention Please

Have you ever wanted the undivided attention of someone? Or a large group?

Call a bingo game. The usual bingo game has numbers from B-1 to O-75, but I have a bingo-a-day calendar that has a smaller set of numbers. Not that I play bingo that often, but it was on clearance a few weeks ago, so I bought it. Every day has three game cards and 50 lift-a-flaps revealing random numbers to be called.

I took a stack of unspent days to the retreat with me and passed out a set of cards to everyone. Throughout the weekend I'd call a game for a door prize. I didn't know if it would be received well, if people would like to participate or not. I was nervous, my self esteem was waning. I took the chance and it paid off. The room was dead quiet, you could hear a pin drop and the crackle of cooling irons, as I called each number. You've never heard a gaggle of quilters that quiet.

On Sunday after the last game had been played I got lots of comments from people asking me to do that again next year, it was fun, and where did I get the calendar.

I was thrilled and my ego was happy. Yay.

Ice Day


School was closed today so I stayed home with the kids. I've finished reading a book, started a load of laundry, ran the dishwasher and not a lot else. Fern asked if she could make brownie batter. No. Fern then asked if she could make a batch of brownies. Yes. Then she still tried to sit on the sofa and eat the batter, I guess she thought I wouldn't notice. For a smart girl, she's pretty daft.

I'll have to check the traffic and weather later to see if I can go out. Dan left for Florida and Fern will be at a sleep-over, so I might take The Boy out to supper or the mall. Wonder what other trouble I can get into while the house is mostly empty?

8 comments:

kenju said...

The bingo calendar sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't played it in years, but I always enjoyed it when I did. Happy blogiversary!
Michele says hi.

gemma said...

Hi Anne....love the bingo post..hope you have enjoyed your time in the almost empty house. I often have that luxury and most often enjoy it. Florida though..sigh. Oh to see a palm tree in February. Michele sent me by the way and I like it here.

Anne said...

kenju, thanks.

gemma, welcome and come by anytime. The house is still pretty quiet for now.

Andi said...

What book did you read? Michele sent me. :-)

Anne said...

I'm reading "Cross Country Quilters" by Jennifer Chiaverini.

Unknown said...

Oh, I was cracking up with this post!
"The room was dead quiet, you could hear a pin drop and the crackle of cooling irons, as I called each number." Perfect comment for a quilter's retreat!

So were there brownies or not?

Anne said...

Yes, brownies were made. Kevin helped himself by scooping out a piece [hunk] from the enter of the pan.

Andi said...

I'll have to Google the book. I have maybe vaguely heard of it. :-)