Friday, December 29, 2006

Are you ready for valentine's day? I got my first glimpse of what's to come when I saw red heart cookies in a bakery window this evening at the mall. Yikes. Red will be everywhere: cookies, candy boxes, underwear. Can you stand it?

My husband and Fern went to the 'Zards game tonight and Kev and I went to the mall. I had to exchange some headphones at the Apple store, the left ear had gone out. We dined at the food court, he Chick-fil-A, and I chose the chicken salad sandwich at Arby's. He was good, only disappeared a few times, each to a nearby escalator so I knew where he was. When he was about 5 or so we lost him, had no idea where he was. Even got mall security to help us. As it turns out, he had gone into the Right Start baby store. We'd only been in there once before, but he has an astonishing memory and knew they had cool things to look at. Now he hovers around me while I shop and I don't worry too much.

I'm reading Something Dangerous by Penny Vincenzi these days. It's the second of a British family saga trilogy. The first book, No Angel, covers 1904 to 1920, World War I. This book covers 1928 to 1946, World War II. Vincenzi is a British writer and therefore the spellings are British as well as the language. It's a different language style than the British version of Harry Potter so I can't figure out if that's her regular writing style or she is also using the style of the day, the time frame about which it's written. In any event, they are good reads so far and I recommend them. I'm even keeping a tally of the children conceived out of wedlock so far. (6!)

3 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

It always irks me when people say that today's world is so much less moral than any past decade. Maybe we're just more open and don't hide our immorality as much. There is certainly nothing new under the sun.

Unknown said...

Something was said about sex outside of marriage sometime over the Christmas break on the news or somewhere. It said about that much. It was prevalent then as much as now. I believe it. It's just human nature.
It's nice to know other adults enjoy reading beooks. Wish I could find the time.
And valentine crap is already infiltrating our stores as well. AArrrggh.

Diane Perin said...

I love Penny Vincenzi! Glad to know someone else is enjoying her. I've been known to order from Amazon.com in Canada to get her books shipped to me in the US.